Is the coolant warning light displayed on your Toyota Camry? Learn how to fix the problem by adding engine coolant to your vehicle. This guide is a step-by-step procedure for adding and checking engine coolant on a 2012-2017 Toyota Camry XV50.
What you will need
- Engine Coolant – See notes below
- Open the hood. Pull the hood release under the dashboard. Go to the front of the vehicle. Unlock the hood latch and pull the hood up until the hood struts are in the hold position.
- Add coolant to the radiator if you replaced coolant hoses or drained the engine coolant.
- Locate the radiator cap on the front side of the engine compartment behind the bumper support bracket. The coolant level is satisfactory between the “F” and “L” lines on
the reservoir when the engine is cold.
- Open the radiator cap by pushing the cap in and twisting it counterclockwise.Do not open the radiator cap when the engine is hot; make sure to let the vehicle cool down before opening the radiator cap.
- Pour the engine coolant into the radiator.Check the radiator cap if it needs to be replaced by checking the rubber gasket on the lid.
- Close the cap by pushing it back to the radiator and twisting it clockwise.
- Locate the engine coolant reservoir on the front side of the engine compartment near the radiator cap.
- Check the fluid level on the indicator on the backside of the coolant reservoir. There’s a line that indicates the full and low levels of the engine coolant.
- Open the cap of the coolant reservoir by pulling it up.
- Pour the engine coolant into the reservoir.
- Close the cap by pushing it back to the reservoir.
What coolant type does Toyota Camry use?
“Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” or high-quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, nonamine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid
organic acid technology. The Toyota coolant is typically red.
- U.S.A.: “Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” is pre-mixed with 50% coolant and 50% deionized water.
- Canada: “Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” is pre-mixed with 55% coolant and 45% deionized water.
We hope you find the Check/Add Engine Coolant Toyota Camry 2012-2017 XV50 guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Toyota.