Is the oil warning light on the instrument cluster of your Cadillac coming on? Stop the vehicle as soon as possible and check the oil level, or you risk causing major damage to the engine.
This guide provides instructions on how to check the engine oil level and add engine oil to Cadillac vehicles.
How to Check Engine Oil Level in a Cadillac
What you will need
- A clean cloth/towel
- Synthetic Engine Oil (Only if the level is low.)
- Typical: 5W-30 or 0W-20
- Check your owner’s manual for your recommended oil grade.
- Funnel for Pouring Oil
- Shop Gloves
- Park your Cadillac on level ground and apply the parking brakes.
- Turn off the engine and wait at least five minutes.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the oil dipstick on your vehicle.
- Oil dipstick on a Cadillac CTS.
- Oil dipstick on a Cadillac Escalade.
- Remove the dipstick by pulling it up.
- Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth. Before reinserting the dipstick back into the engine block, note the minimum and maximum marks.
- Reinsert the dipstick and press it in fully.
- Remove the dipstick and read the current engine oil level. The level must be between the minimum and maximum mark we saw earlier. If the engine oil level is below the minimum mark, you need to add engine oil to your vehicle. Continue to the next step.
- Locate the oil cap on top of the engine. Unscrew the cap by twisting it counterclockwise.
- Add a quart at a time, wait a few minutes, and check the level again. Add more engine oil if the oil level is still under the MIN mark. Don’t overfill the engine above the MAX or FULL mark on the dipstick. Overfilling the engine with oil can cause engine problems or damage.
These instructions are meant to help all Cadillac owners, such as
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
- XLR from 1990 to the present.
We hope you find the Check Cadillac Engine Oil Level guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Cadillac.