In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change the brake light switch on a BMW.
After you replace the brake pads on your BMW and the brake pad wear sensor, you need to perform the procedure to reset BMW brake light.
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to reset BMW brake light using a few different methods.
If you are unsuccessful at resetting BMW brake light, an alternative method is provided to help you reset BMW brake light with a tool. These steps will work on BMW including models such as 1-series, 3-series, 5-series, 6-series, 7-series, x1, x3, x5.
Before You Start
- Perform the following steps quickly.
- In some cases, you may have to perform the BMW brake reset procedure more than once.
- BMW brake light reset procedure can be performed for front or rear brakes.
- Brake pads must have at least 80% life remaining.
- Turn on the ignition but do not start the car. If your BMW has a START button, press it without pressing the brake pedal.
- Make sure time is shown at the center of the instrument cluster.
- Press and hold the ODO reset button for about 5 seconds. First, a yellow triangle will show on the dash. Continue holding the ODO reset button pressed, until the next symbol comes up.
- Press the ODO reset button a few times until you see the symbol for front or rear brakes. Depending on which sensor you replaced and would like to reset.
- When the symbol for the desired brakes is displayed on the screen, press and hold the ODO reset until you see the word RESET below the symbol.
- Once the word reset displays below the brake symbol, quickly release the button and press it again. Continue holding the ODO reset button until the brake light disappears.
- The miles should change to ----- indicating the reset was performed successfully. The next time you will be reminded to change your BMW brakes is 25000 miles for front brakes and 31000 for rear brakes. Even though these intervals may vary between models.
Alternative Method to Reset BMW Brake Light
- Insert the key into the ignition. Turn on ignition but do not start the engine.
- Press and hold the BC button until time and mileage show up on the center of the instrument cluster.
- Next, press and hold the ODO Reset button. A yellow triangle will show up first. Continue to hold the ODO reset button pressed until you see the next symbol on the screen.
- Press the Check button on the steering column stalk until you see the Front Brakes or Rear Brakes symbol.
- While the brake Brake Light shows on the dashboard press the BC button until the words RESET show below the brake symbol.
- Next, press and hold the BC button until the
How to reset BMW brake with a scan tool
Resetting BMW brake light with Foxwell for BMW
The following method shows you how to reset the brake pad sensor on BMW vehicles using various OBD2 Scanners for BMW.
If you are not able to reset the brake light check the condition of the brakes on the opposite axle.
For example, if you replaced front brake pads and sensor and you can't reset the brake light, you should check the condition of the rear brake pads as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why won't my BMW brake light won't reset?
- BMW brake light reset procedure must be performed after you reset the front or rear brake pads. You must replace the brake wear sensor as well. In some cases, the brake wear sensor may get damaged during installation in which case you won't be able to reset the brake light.
- Which BMW models will these instructions work?
- The instructions above will work on many BMW models including models such as E30, E90 F30 F10 E39 E83 E92 E70 E87 E93 E92 E30 E36 E38 E34 etc.