It’s not uncommon for Mazda vehicles to be stuck in the park. In such cases, you won’t move the shifter lever from P to R, N, D, or vice versa.
Troubleshooting Mazda Shifter Stuck in Park
In this guide, you will learn how to move the shifter on Mazda out of the Park manually.
- Set the emergency brakes on your Mazda. Insert the key into the ignition of your Mazda. Turn the key to the ON position.
- Locate the shift override slot next to the shifter of your Mazda. Remove the plastic cover if your Mazda has one.
- Insert a screwdriver into the slot and push down. Keep the brake pedal pressed as you try this. If you don’t set the emergency brakes or keep the brakes pressed, your Mazda may roll when you move the shifter from Park to Drive.
- Move the shifter to any position. You should be able to move the shifter from Park to Reverse, Neutral, and Drive.
Mazda can get stuck in the park for various reasons, including:
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
- Defective brake light switch.
- Bad shifter assembly,
- Shift interlock solenoid bad
If your Mazda gets stuck in the park intermittently, the shifter interlock solenoid is one of the most common issues causing this problem. The brake switch could also be causing intermittent problems where your shifter gets stuck in the park.
Lastly, the shifter assembly itself could be the problem. The shifter may need to be replaced. At Mazda dealerships, a new shifter can cost anywhere from $500 to $800. A cheaper alternative would be to install a used or aftermarket Mazda shifter assembly.
This guide will help you if your Mazda doesn’t go into gear. These instructions help Mazda 3, 5, 6, CX-5, CX-7, and CX-9 owners.
We hope you find the Mazda Shifter Stuck in Park | Manual Override | Won’t Go In Gear guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mazda.