Are you stuck out of your Ford Fusion because the battery is dead or the key fob not working? Learn how Ford’s door or trunk can be opened if you have a dead battery.
This is necessary if the car battery has died and you need to manually open the car to access the car battery in the engine bay and jump-start it.
How to open a door Ford – dead battery
- On the back of the remote, there is a release switch. Open up the smart key shell to access the emergency key.
- Use the metal blade to remove the driver’s door handle cover. Insert the metal key into the hole in the bottom of the driver’s door handle, then pull towards the back.
- Once you slide over the cover, you can see the keyhole.
- Insert the key into the door lock and turn towards the back of the car to unlock your Ford. If the key won’t go in or turn, spray penetrating oil on the keyhole and try again.
If your metal key doesn’t unlock the driver’s door, try inserting the key in and out a few times. If that doesn’t work, spray penetrating oil in the keyhole and retry.
How to open a Ford Fusion trunk – Dead Battery
We often get asked how to open a Ford Fusion hybrid trunk if the car battery is dead.
To open the trunk in a Ford Fusion with a dead battery, you will need to manually open the driver’s door and the hood as outlined above. Then locate the jump-start terminals under the hood to power up the vehicle and open the trunk by pressing the button on the dashboard or keyfob.
Follow these step-by-step instructions on opening Ford’s trunk if your car has a dead battery.
- Remove the metal key from the keyfob. All smart keyfobs have a metal key inside that can be used to unlock the driver’s door.
- Remove the cap on the driver’s door and unlock the door.
- Pull the hood release and open the hood.
- Locate the battery jump-start terminals in the engine bay. Look for a red plastic cover in front of the driver’s side. That is the positive terminal. For the negative, a ground bolt is sticking out of the shock tower. Connect a jump starter or a battery charger at these terminals to power up the vehicle.
- Press unlock on the keyfob or the trunk release button on the dashboard to open the trunk.
If you need to jump-start a Ford with a dead battery, use the terminals in the engine bay. Do not jump from the battery in the trunk. These instructions may help owners of Ford models such as Fiesta, Mustang, Fusion, Edge, F150, etc.
If you like saving money on auto repair, learn how to Diagnose Vehicle Problems Like a Pro