Accessing the engine compartment of your Toyota is important for routine maintenance or in the case of an emergency. However, many Toyota owners may not know how to open the hood properly. This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to open the hood of any Toyota model using the hood latch method. Whether you are a seasoned car owner or a first-time Toyota driver, this guide will give you the knowledge and confidence to open the hood of your vehicle safely and easily.
Pull the hood release under the dashboard on the driver’s side to open the hood on a Toyota. Pull the lever, then go to the front of the car. Slide your hand under the hood just above the grille. Press on the hood latch to one side as you lift the hood. You should be able to open/lift the hood (bonnet) easily. The following videos show how to open the hood on several Toyota models.
How to Open the Hood on a Toyota
- Park the Toyota on level ground. If your Toyota is locked, follow this guide on manually unlocking a Toyota. Turn off the ignition and set the parking brakes. Move the shifter to the Park position.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard. You should hear the hood pop open.
- Go to the front of the car. Lift the hood a little and slide your hand under the hood, which should be popped up slightly. Pull the hood release again if the hood has not raised about one inch. Here is a closer look at the hood latch on a Toyota.
- Lift the hood and use the prop rod to keep it open. If your Toyota has hydraulic supports, ensure it can stay open independently. Toyota hood supports can weaken over time and cause the hood to fall or the hood won’t stay open.
Can’t Open Toyota Hood Latch
Sometimes, a Toyota hood may not open when you try to pull the hood release. You first must inspect the hood release under the dashboard to ensure the cable is still attached to the handle.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
Next, get a friend to help you and try the following procedure.
- Please have a friend place the palms of their hand on the hood right above the hood latch (by the Toyota logo), push it down, and keep the pressure on the hood downwards.
- While your friend keeps the hood pressed down, you pull the hood release under the dashboard and keep it pulled out.
- Ask your friend to insert their fingers under the hood and lift it. In most cases, the hood will pop open.
- Open the hood and support it with the prop rod.
In most cases, this simple procedure will allow you to open a stuck Toyota hood. You will need a friend to help you. You can’t complete this step with one person.
How to open the Toyota hood with a broken cable
If your Toyota hood cable is broken, there are a few possible ways to open the hood:
- If the cable has come off the release under the dashboard, you can use pliers to pull on the cable head or reinstall the handle.
- Remove the splash shield under the vehicle if the hood latch breaks the cable. Use a long screwdriver or hook to access and release the hood latch.
- In some cases, you may be able to use a screwdriver to access the hood release through the front grill. This does not work on all models.
Opening the hood of a Toyota is a simple process that can be done in a few steps. Whether you are checking the oil level, topping up the washer fluid, or checking the engine, knowing how to open the hood using the hood latch will be useful. Remember always to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and exercise caution when working under the hood of your car. With this guide, you will be able to access the engine compartment of your Toyota with ease.
This guide will help you open the hood on many models, including Toyota Camry, Corolla, Rav4, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Supra, Prius, Tacoma, Yaris, etc. At the end of this guide, you will find tips to help you open a stuck Toyota hood.