Need to change the engine oil and oil filter of your Toyota Camry? By following the procedures below, learn how to change oil and replace your vehicle’s oil filter. This guide is a step-by-step instruction on replacing the oil filter and changing the oil on a 2012-2017 Toyota Camry XV50.
What you will need
- Engine Oil
- Capacity: 4.8 U.S. Quarts
- Viscosity: 0W-20 (All TEMPS). 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and starting in cold weather. If 0W-20 is not available, 5W-20 may be used. However, it must be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.
- Car Ramps or Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Wheel Chocks
- 14mm Wrench
- Oil Pan
- Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota
- Copper washer
- The oil filter (2012-2017 Toyota Camry XV50)
- Park the vehicle on a flat surface. Set the parking brakes. Open the hood and loosen the engine oil cap.
- Put the vehicle on the car ramps or Jack up the car; support the vehicle with jack stands and wheel chocks on the rear wheels.
- Go under the vehicle and locate the oil drain plug below the engine.
- Place an oil pan below the oil drain plug to where the oil will drain.
- Loosen the oil drain plug using a 14mm wrench and twist it counterclockwise.
- Remove the oil drain plug by hand.
- Replace the copper washer on the oil drain plug by pulling out the old copper washer and inserting the new copper washer.
- Reinstall the oil drain plug by hand. Tighten the oil drain plug using the 14mm wrench and twisting it clockwise.Torque Specification: 27-30 ft-lbs or 36.6-40.67 N-m
- Locate the oil filter on the opposite side of the oil drain pan.
- Remove the metal plate on the oil filter housing using an oil filter wrench and twist it counterclockwise.
- Get the plastic tool on the package of the new oil filter, insert it into the oil filter, and twist it clockwise; this procedure will drain the oil from the oil filter.
- Remove the plastic tool and put the oil filter wrench into the oil filter.
- Loosen the oil filter by twisting the wrench counterclockwise, then remove the oil filter by hand. Turn the oil filter housing upside down to remove the excess oil on the oil filter.
- Remove the oil filter from the oil filter housing by pulling it down.
- Use a pick tool to remove the o-rings inside and outside of the oil filter housing.
- Install the new O-rings and new oil filter into the oil filter housing.
- Reinstall the oil filter housing back to the vehicle; twist it clockwise to tighten it. Do not over-tighten the oil filter. Torque spec: 25Nm
- Reinstall the metal plate on the filter housing.
- Wipe the air filter housing and oil drain plug.
- Add engine oil to the vehicle; use a funnel to prevent the oil from spilling.
- Pull out the dipstick, then check the oil level.
- Torque: 30 ft/lbs (Oil Drain Plug)
- Torque: 25 Nm 18.439 ft-lbs (Oil filter)
We hope you find the Replace Engine Oil and Filter Toyota Camry 2012-2017 XV50 guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Toyota.