Are the light bulbs on your Volkswagen taillight not working? Learn how to fix them by replacing the light bulbs on your Volkswagen taillight. This guide provides instructions on replacing the VW brake light bulb, back up / reverse light bulb, rear parking light, and turn signal light bulb.
Replacing the light bulb from the tail light of an A6 VW Jetta is simple. While it may seem complicated from the outside, do not worry; it is a simple job you can do in your garage. Let’s get started. The process is the same, whether it is the left or right rear turn signal.
What you will need
- Parking light: P21/5W
- Rear Signal: PY21W
- Brake light / stop light: P21 5W
- Back up / reverse light: P21W.
SaleBestseller No. 1
How to change VW Jetta rear light bulbs:
- Open the trunk lid.
- Remove the cover tab in the trunk, where the tail light connection will be. It will be on the inside, directly behind the external light cover.
- Unplug the electrical connection to the tail light, as you will need to remove the light assembly.
- Unscrew the plastic nut that holds the tail light assembly to the car. The nut will be next to the light connection.
- Gently remove the light assembly from the car. It may require some wiggling as a plastic tab holds it in.
- A plastic plate will hold the two bulbs on the cover inside the light assembly. Remove the plate, being careful not to damage the bulbs.
- Remove and replace the burnt-out bulb that needs repairing. For this article, we are looking at replacing the turn signal. The bulb is at the bottom of the assembly because the light bulbs are arranged vertically within the cover.
- Having replaced the bulb, the light assembly was back on the car the same way it was removed.
- Tighten the plastic nut that holds the light assembly.
- Plug the light connection into the housing, and replace the cover in the trunk. Test the light to ensure it works by having someone stand behind the car as you operate the turn signals.
We hope you find the 2011-2019 VW Jetta Brake Light / Turn Signal / Back Up Light Bulb Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Volkswagen.