Is your Toyota Highlander difficult to start, and there’s a squealing noise on the engine bay due to a faulty serpentine belt? Learn how to remove and replace your vehicle’s serpentine belt by following the procedures below. This guide is a step-by-step procedure for replacing the serpentine belt on a Toyota Highlander 2014-2020.
What you will need
Bestseller No. 1
- Toyota Highlander Serpentine Belt
- Lug Wrench
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stands
- Mechanic Toolset – Metric
- 14mm Wrench
- 10mm Socket
- Solid Pin
- Fastener Remover Tool
- Park the vehicle on a safe flat ground level, set the transmission to the park, and turn off the ignition.
- Loosen the lug nuts of the front wheel passenger side by turning them counterclockwise using a lug nut wrench.
- Jack up the vehicle’s front and support it with jack stands.
- Remove the cover plate on the inner wheel well by pulling out the push clip and two 10mm bolts holding it.
- Place a 14mm wrench on the center bolt of the tensioner pulley and pull it towards the front of the car to release the tension.
- Once the tension is released, insert a metal pin into the hole below the tensioner pulley and remove the 14mm wrench on the center bolt. This will set the tensioner pulley in the release position.
- Remove the serpentine belt from the pulleys by pulling it out.
- Line up the new serpentine belt starting on the pulleys above and lining it up lastly on the pulleys below. Make sure all the grooves on the serpentine belt are aligned very well to the pulleys.
- Once the tensioner pulley is set, place the 14mm wrench back to the center bolt of the tensioner pulley and pull it again towards the front of the car. Then pull out the pin from the hole.
- Start the vehicle and check the new serpentine belt.
- Turn off the ignition and reinstall the cover plate on the inner wheel well.
- Place the wheel back in the vehicle and reinstall lug nuts by turning them clockwise using the lug wrench.
- Remove the jack stands and release the floor jack.
- Tighten the lug nuts to their proper torque specification.
We hope you find the 2014–2020 Toyota Highlander Serpentine Belt Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Toyota.