Need to replace the window regulator of your Kia? Learn how to remove and change the window regulator of your Kia by following the procedures below. This guide will find step-by-step instructions on replacing the window regulator and door glass on a 2016-2020 Kia Optima.
What you will need.
- Philips screwdriver
- Prying tool or plastic removal tool
- 10mm socket wrench
- 10mm wrench
- Window Regulator (Kia Optima)
- Open the driver’s door and pull the hood release under the dashboard. Then unlock the hood latch and open the hood up.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Use a 10mm wrench to loosen the bolt on the terminals.
- Pry out the side mirror cover, the cover on the inner door handle, and the cover on the armrest using a plastic removal tool.
- Remove the screws on the door panel and pry out the edges of the door panel. Then carry the door panel out, disconnect the cables and electrical connectors, and set the door panel aside.
- Remove the rubber covers on the window regulator, reconnect the window switch and adjust the window until the bolts of the window can be seen. Make sure to disconnect the battery after adjusting the window.
- Loosen and remove the bolts holding the window. Then remove the glass out of the door by lifting it up.
- Pull the rubber grommets out of the window regulator.
- Disconnect the clips on the speaker and airbag sensor. Push on the clip and pull it out to remove it from where it is connected.
- Remove/Unhook the wiring harness from the tabs on the window regulator.
- Remove the 10mm bolts around the window regulator.Other bolts are on the lower part of the regulator.
- Hold the window regulator and disconnect the clip on the back side of the window regulator.
- Slide the cable of the door actuator out from the window regulator.
- Unhook the wire harness from the tabs on the backside of the window regulator. Then pull out the wire harness on the hole of the window regulator.The window regulator of the 2016-2020 Kia Optima.
- Get the new window regulator and hook the wire harness at the back of the new window regulator.
- Insert the cables of the door actuator on the new window regulator and reconnect the clip on the other side of the window regulator.
- Reinstall the bolts around the window regulator.Torque specification: 6.9 – 10.8 N.m (5.1 – 8.0 lb-ft)
- Push the grommets into the window regulator.
- Install the electrical connector to the speakers and airbag sensor. Then hook the wire harness to the new window regulator.
- Reinstall the window, door panel, and side mirror cover.
We hope you find the Kia Window Regulator Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Kia.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!