Is your BMW brake fluid service warning light come on? Learn how to fix it by following the procedures below.
A BMW brake fluid service warning comes on if you have not changed the brake fluid at the recommended interval. The round light, half-full, reminds you to perform brake fluid service. The light may also come on if the brake fluid level is low.
You must perform BMW brake fluid service before performing this procedure.
- BMW brake service reminder
- Service symbol on dash and iDrive
- Brake Fluid Service Required under Vehicle Status
The following method uses the Trip Odometer Reset button on the instrument cluster. It does not require any scanner or special tools.
- Turn on the ignition. Insert your key into the ignition. On older BMW models, turn the key two clicks. Press and hold the START button on newer models without pressing the brake pedal. All your dash lights will turn on. The engine should not be started.
- Wait a few seconds for any warning messages to clear.
- Press and hold the Odometer Reset on the instrument cluster.
- A small triangle will be displayed on the dash while you hold the ODOmeter Reset button. Hold the Reset button until you see the Oil Symbol or Microfilter Symbol.
- Now you have entered the Service Menu. Here you can reset any BMW CBS Service Reminder. Since we want to reset the BMW brake fluid warning, press the Reset button until the brake reservoir symbol is displayed. You can also change between items using the +/- on the cluster or the Check button on the steering column stalk.
- Next, press and hold the Odo Reset button for about 5 seconds. “Reset?” message will display on the screen.
- Release the button, then press and hold again. After another five seconds, the reset will be completed. The light should change from Red to Yellow. “Reset?” should change to OK or Reset.
If you are not successful in resetting the BMW Brake Service light using the reset instructions using the steps above, we strongly recommend checking for instructions on the owner’s manual. The instructions above will help owners of the 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, X1, X3, and X5 series.
How to Reset BMW Brake Service Reminder using a Scan Tool
An alternative method to reset the BMW brake fluid warning message is to use an OBD2 scanner. The YOUCANIC Full System Scanner can reset the brake fluid warning message on your BMW,
A BMW OBD2 scanner will allow you to reset many services and diagnose BMW problems from various modules.
What tips or tricks did you use to reset your BMW brake fluid service reminder? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
If your BMW brake fluid level drops below the MIN level, you may need to Add BMW Brake Fluid. The next step is to reset the BMW brake fluid using these instructions.
We hope you find the BMW Brake Fluid Service Warning Light Reset guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!