Is your Mercedes-Benz engine running hot because of a faulty radiator fan? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the cooling fan of your Mercedes-Benz radiator. Most of the pictures in this guide are from a CLS-Class, but these instructions apply to an E-Class. Replacing the cooling fan on a Mercedes-Benz is easy and takes about one hour.
How to Replace Mercedes-Benz Radiator Cooling Fan
Symptoms of a bad cooling fan include:
- The cooling fan does not work, and the engine overheats.
- Warning message on the dashboard
- The cooling fan runs at full speed due to a faulty controller.
What you will need
- Mercedes Cooling Fan
- Work gloves
- T25 Torx
- 10mm wrench
- Park the vehicle and allow it to cool down.
- Pull the hood release and open the hood.
- Pry out the two plastic pins at each end of the top radiator bracket.
4. Remove the upper radiator support.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
It is held in place with three T25 bolts on each side. You may also need to remove the front grill on some models, such as CLS and CLK.
5. Disconnect the wires from the horn
6. Remove the top radiator support bracket.
7. Carefully release the hood release cable from the top bracket. It is clipped to the bottom of the top radiator bracket.
Press the connector and pull it to disconnect it.
8. Locate the electrical connector on the back of the cooling fan. Press the connector and pull it to disconnect it.
9. Remove two U clips at each top corner of the radiator.
These clips can be easily removed by prying them up with a screwdriver.
10. Slide the radiator cooling fan up.
Look at the back of the cooling fan for hoses that may prevent it from coming up. If any of the hoses prevent the fan from moving up, move the hoses out of the way. At the bottom, the cooling fan slides into two channels.
11. Reinstall the new cooling fan in reverse order. Make sure that the cooling fan is engaged at the bottom.
Troubleshooting Using YOUCANIC Full System Scanner
These instructions should help you replace the radiator cooling fan on Mercedes-Benz models such as C, S, ML, GL, GLK, GLE, GLS, etc.
We hope you find the Mercedes-Benz Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement | DIY guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.