Learn how to recharge the Mazda air conditioner system with refrigerant. If the Mazda is blowing hot air, it may be due to a small leak in the A/C system.
This procedure can restore your A/C operation if a small refrigerant leak occurs. If a large A/C leak is present, the system must be repaired by a certified mechanic.
How to Recharge the A/C Refrigerant on a Mazda
What you will need
Here is what you will need to charge the A/C system on your Mazda.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
- Air Conditioner Recharge Kit – The recommended refrigerant type can be found on a sticker under the hood or owner’s manual.
- Safety Glasses
Be sure to use protective equipment like gloves and safety glasses to prevent injuries caused by refrigerants.
- Park the Mazda in a safe area. Engage the parking brakes and ensure the vehicle is in Park.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard on the driver’s side. Prop open the hood.
- Locate the low-pressure port. This is where you add A/C refrigerant on a Mazda 5. There is a low-pressure port and a high-pressure port. The connectors with the AC recharge kits will only fit on the low-pressure port.
- Remove the cap and connect your A/C hose to the charging port.
- Turn on the engine and allow it to idle. The transmission should be in Park.
- Turn on the A/C and set the blower fan to max.
- Start adding refrigerant to your Mazda air conditioner system with the engine on idle.
- Press the trigger on the A/C recharge kit to charge your Mazda A/C. The engine should be running when charging the Mazda A/C. Follow the instructions as directed on your A/C recharge kit.
Be careful not to overcharge the A/C system. Overcharging a Mazda air conditioner with freon can cause damage to the A/C system. Overcharging the Mazda A/C system will not make the A/C colder.
We hope you find the Mazda Air Conditioner A/C Recharge guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mazda.