A malfunctioning crankshaft position sensor in a Nissan vehicle can cause various symptoms, such as engine misfires, stalling, difficulty starting, and poor performance. We discuss the common symptoms of a faulty Nissan crankshaft position sensor and show you how to replace it. Nissan crankshaft position sensor is often confused with the camshaft position sensor, which can also fail and cause engine start problems, but keep in mind it is a different sensor.
If you scan the ECU for fault codes, you will get trouble codes such as P0335, P0340, or even P0725. This problem is common on Nissan Altimas but may affect multiple Nissan vehicles, including Nissan Quest, Altima, Sentra, Maxima, 370z, Navara, Rogue, Murano, NV200, Micra, Sunny, Qashqai, and Serena.
The most common symptom of a failed crankshaft position sensor on a Nissan is that the car hesitates to start or stalls after it starts.
- Issues Starting the Vehicle.
- Intermittent Stalling.
- Check Engine Light Comes On.
- Uneven Acceleration.
- Engine Misfires or Vibrates.
- Rough Idle and/or Vibrating Engine.
- Reduced Gas Mileage.
Sometimes, it may require you to crank the car for a long time to get it to start. When a crankshaft position sensor fails, your Nissan will hesitate or may not start at all, and in most cases, the check engine light will turn on.
How to Replace Nissan Crankshaft Position Sensor
Below you will find instructions on replacing the crankshaft position sensor on a Nissan 3.5L V6 engine.
What you will need
- Nissan Crankshaft Position Sensor
- Mechanic Tool Set
- 10mm socket
- Vehicle Ramps
- Jack Stands
Follow these instructions to remove and replace the crankshaft position sensor on a Nissan.
- Jack up the Nissan to access the bottom of the engine. You can use jack and jack stands or ramps, which is easier.
- Secure the vehicle with jack stands.
- Allow the engine to cool down for at least fifteen minutes. Secure the vehicle by placing it in Park. Secure the rear wheels. Place jack stands to support the vehicle.
- Remove the plastic cover from under the engine. It is held in place with several plastic screws.
- Locate the crankshaft position sensor on your Nissan. The crankshaft position sensor is installed on the transmission housing where the transmission attaches to the engine block.
- Press the small tab on the connector and unplug the electrical connector by pulling it away from the sensor.
- Remove the 10 mm bolt.
- Remove the old crankshaft position sensor on your Nissan. Install the new crankshaft position sensor in reverse order.
- Once you tighten the 10 mm bolt, reconnect the electrical connector.
- Reinstall the engine splash shield and lower the vehicle.
If the check engine light is on, use an OBD2 scanner to read the codes and clear them in stored status. The YOUCANIC Full System Scanner can read and clear codes on every control module of your Nissan vehicle.
If no other codes are present, the check engine light should reset automatically within a few driving cycles.
Where is the crankshaft position sensor located on a Nissan?
Nissan crankshaft position sensor is located on the left side of the engine, where the engine and transmission are bolted together.
How to check if the Nissan crankshaft position sensor is bad?
- Plugin your scanner into the OBD2 port under the dashboard.
- Turn off the ignition.
- Read codes from the ECU.
- Confirm that a code related to the crankshaft position sensor circuit is present.
Where to buy a Nissan crankshaft position sensor?
Nissan crankshaft position sensors vary between model years. To find a cheap Nissan crankshaft position sensor, check prices on eBay. Filter results by year and model to find the right crankshaft position sensor for your Nissan.
Nissan Crankshaft Position Sensor Part NumbersApplicationsInfinitiInfiniti
- 2.5L 4 Cylinder Engine
- Part Number: 235-91203
- Applicaitons: 2002-2006 Nissan Frontier, Altima, Sentra
- 3.0L Engine
- Part Number: CKP2085 PC165 714958 SS1013911B1 SS10139 J5T10271 5S1782 2373135U11 2373135U10 2373135U00 2132395 1800319
- Applications: Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I30
- 3.0 or 3.5 V6 Engine
- Part Number: 23731-31U11 PC89 2373131U10 23731-31U10 373131U11 S10113 SU4315
- Applications: Nissan Maxima 1995-2001, Pathfinder 2001-2002, Infiniti QX4 2000-2003, Infiniti I30 1999-2001
- 3.5L V6 Engine
- Part Number: 12799167
- Applications: 2002-2008 Nissan Altima, Maxima, Quest, Infiniti FX35 I35 G35 350z
- 3.5L V6 Engine
- Part Number: 23731-AL60A 23731AL60C / 23731 AL60C PC499 23731 SU6482 23731-AL60C,1236545
- Nissan Altima (2006-2002)
- Nissan Armada (2012-2005)
- Nissan Frontier (2012-2005)
- Nissan Maxima (2008-2002)
- Infiniti FX35 (2008-2003)
- Infiniti G35 (2007-2003)
- Infiniti I35 (2004-2002)
- Infiniti M35 (2008-2006)
- Infiniti QX56 (2010-2004)
- Nissan 350Z (2006-2003)
- Nissan Murano (2007-2003)
- Nissan NV1500 (2012)
- Nissan NV2500 (2012)
- Nissan NV3500 (2012)
- Nissan Pathfinder (2012-2004)
- Nissan Quest (2009-2004)
- Nissan Titan (2012-2004)
- Nissan Xterra (2012-2005)
- 4.0L V6 Engine
- Part Number: 23731EA20C 23731-EA20A 23731-EA20C 23731AE20C 23731EA20A 23731EA20C 23731EA220 23731EA221 3322082Z30 SU7825 5S6314 PC715
- Applications: Nissan Xterra 2005-2014, Nissan pathfinder 2005-2012, Nissan NV3500 NV2500 NV1500 2012-2014, Nissan Frontier 2005-2014