Removing the airbag from Hyundai Elantra is easy but requires a lot of patience. You will need to press three locking pins to release the airbag, but since you can’t see them, you will need to try for several minutes.
The following video shows how to release the airbag. After a few tries, you can release the airbag from the steering wheel.
What you will need
- 10mm Open End Wrench
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. This is a must, or you will trigger the airbag light on your dashboard.
- Wait at least fifteen minutes.
- To remove the airbag from the steering wheel on Hyundai Elantra, you will need to press three locking pins that hold the airbag in place. Use a Phillips screwdriver or a Torx screwdriver that may work better.
- Pull out the locking clips from the airbag connector. Then disconnect both wires from the airbag. You also need to disconnect the horn wire.
- Carefully handle the airbag. Avoid dropping the airbag.
- Reinstall the new airbag in reverse order. Connect the wires to the back of the airbag and press the connector to lock it.
- Press the airbag into the steering wheel to lock the airbag in place. The airbag locks via the springs; therefore, there are no bolts that you need to fasten to secure the airbag.
Replacing the airbag on a Hyundai is a relatively easy procedure. The most important part is handling the airbag with care and disconnecting the negative battery terminal. If you want more auto repairs on your vehicle, check out the Repair Guides for Hyundai section.
Frequently Asked Questions
How difficult is it to replace the airbag on a Hyundai Elantra?
- Replacing the airbag is easy but requires patience. To avoid problems, always disconnect the negative battery terminal before you start working on airbag components. All you need to complete this job is a couple of screwdrivers.
How much does replacing the driver’s airbag on a Hyundai Elantra cost?
- At the Hyundai dealer, expect to pay between $800 -$2000 to replace the driver’s airbag. That will include the airbag itself and the labor.
Can I replace the airbag with a used unit?
- In theory, you can install a used airbag on your Hyundai. Hyundai doesn’t require any programming or coding of the airbag components like some luxury auto manufacturers do. The only concern with a used airbag is that you don’t know how it will perform in case of an accident. If the airbag light remains on after you replace a defective or blown Hyundai airbag, we recommend reading the fault codes from the airbag module.