Learn how to remove the steering wheel on Hyundai Elantra. Replacing the steering wheel on a Hyundai Elantra is easy and takes less than thirty minutes.
Always disconnect the battery negative terminal and wait at least 15 minutes before you start removing the airbag on a vehicle.
What you will need
- Breaker Bar
- Torque Wrench
- 21mm socket
- 10mm wrench
- Disconnect the battery negative cable by loosening the 10 mm bolt and pulling the negative cable away from the battery post. TIP – Before disconnecting the battery turn the steering wheel so that the front wheels are pointing straight ahead.
- Wait fifteen minutes before you start to work on the airbag system.
Push the airbag locking pins using a screwdriver. There are three pins that need to be pressed to release the airbag. Once the airbag is out, you must disconnect the two airbag cables and the horn wire.
- Loosen the 21 mm lock nut and remove the steering wheel. You will need a breaker bar to loosen the steering wheel locking nut. Remember to push the steering wheel in the opposite direction that you will be pushing the breaker bar. Don’t want to put pressure on the steering wheel lock mechanism.
- Mark the steering wheel shaft and the steering wheel. Also, make sure you don’t spin the clockspring around. If you change the clockspring position, your stability or traction control may not work properly since it won’t read the correct steering wheel angle.
- Install the steering wheel in the opposite order. Install the steering wheel to the steering column shaft.
- Tighten the bolt nut to 50 Nm using a torque wrench.
Once you replace the steering wheel and reinstall a new one, you may find that the airbag or the SRS light is on.
- This tutorial applies to the Hyundai Elantra model years: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
Replacing the steering wheel is easy if you have the correct tools. It may be tricky to release the airbag, but we have provided video guidance to help you with this step.
Follow this tutorial to upgrade or replace the steering wheel on your Hyundai. You must remove the airbag and the 21 mm locking nut on the steering column shaft.
Mark the shaft and the steering wheel to install them in the same location. Otherwise, the steering wheel may be off-center when you drive.
You must release and remove the airbag to replace the steering wheel buttons. There are a couple of screws that hold the steering wheel buttons in place.
Remove those and pull out the steering wheel buttons. You don’t need to remove the steering wheel itself.
- Hyundai Elantra: Steering Column and Shaft. Repair procedures hemanual.org
- Hyundai Elantra Airbag Steering Wheel Replacement Shop Manual hemanual.org
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!