AutoCraft Battery Review
Having owned a couple of AutoCraft batteries in the past, I wanted to share a few pros & cons of AutoCraft batteries. AutoCraft batteries are sold at Advance Auto Parts store. They are definitively worth considering especially since in many cases you get a good discount on their batteries by using a coupon code, ordering online and picking up at the store. Another positive fact to keep in mind is that Advance Auto Parts will install the battery for free even if you buy it online and pick up the battery at the store.
Whether you are buying an AutoCraft battery or any other brand, one of the most important factors to keep in mind is that the replacement battery meets your vehicle's specs. The AutoCraft battery needs to meet the group size, cold cranking amps (CCA), cranking amps (CA) and battery capacity. The next important factor to consider is the battery warranty.
Are AutoCraft batteries worth it?
That depends significantly on the AutoCraft battery grade:
- Economy - Cheapest Battery, Very short warranty period. Usually only 1 year. Short lifespan.
- Gold - Longest Warranty Period. Typically three years. Other brands offer up to a five-year warranty. Overall a good battery for daily drivers.
One thing to keep in mind is that AutoCraft batteries don't have the best warranty periods out there. AutoCraft Gold can last at leat 5 or 6 years. The same can't be said for economy AutoCraft battery. That's sad because we often see original car batteries last over ten years.
What to consider when buying AutoCraft batteries
- Check manufacturing date, it is stamped on the case as two digit month and year. For example 07/18. When was battery manufactured? Within the last year is great, up to two years is fine. Don't buy a battery that was manufactured over two years ago.
- When buying AutoCraft batteries from Advance Auto Parts check the warranty period carefully.
- If you have no sales receipt for your AutoCraft battery, Advance Auto Parts store will not replace your bad battery.
AutoCraft Batteries Alternatives
If you are looking for a good battery that would last at least a few years you have a few options. Here is a list of highly rated batteries that you can purchase from Amazon and have it mailed to your house:
- Optima Batteries - Best Selling Car Batteries on Amazon
- Excide AGM Battery
- ACDelco Battery
- DieHard sold at Sears
- EverStart sold at WalMart
When it comes to batteries there are only a handful of manufacturers that supply them. The main battery manufacturers in the US are Johnson Controls, Excide, AcDelco. They also supply AutoCraft and Duralast batteries. That's why you often will see the battery manufacturer make the best and worst batteries at the same factory.
AutoCraft Battery Review | Pros and Cons
As you make the decision on whether to buy an AutoCraft battery keep in mind that:
- AutoCraft batteries will make it through the warranty period just fine. Our Autocraft Economy battery failed to hold a charge a month warranty period.
- The cheap AutoCraft economy battery only has a 12-month warranty. Avoid buying economy AutoCraft battery. If you want a battery that will hopefully last a few years go for the Silver or Gold Autocraft battery.
- Because some of the best and worst batteries come from the same manufacturer, the brand name is less important than the battery type. There is a significant difference between batteries made by the same company: Economy vs Silver vs Gold vs Platinum AGM.
AutoCraft Silver or Gold perform fine on vehicles that are driven daily. If you need a battery that will go through a lot of partial draining and recharging cycles you should skip AutoCraft Economy batteries.
Our Experience with AutoCraft Batteries
We had previously used two Autocraft batteries. One on a Dodge and the second Autocraft battery was installed on a Mercedes-Benz E-Class. Both these cars were sold in less than two years and during that time the AutoCraft batteries performed well.
Our third replacement battery was also an AutoCraft which was installed on a Crysler Crossfire. Since this is a convertible, it doesn't get that much use. The car is parked for weeks and we usually disconnect the battery. The AutoCraft battery installed on the Crossfire only had a 12-month warranty. And guess what... this battery only lasted 13 months. It started showing signs of not holding a proper charge within eight months, and now it is completely dead. Since we are out of warranty, there is nothing that the Advance Auto Parts associate could do.
Other car owners have reported problems with AutoCraft batteries. Here is another review of the Autocraft Silver battery by a New Jersey car owner.
The golden rule with Autocraft batteries is that don't expect them to last much longer than the warranty period.
Which AutoCraft battery is best?
If buying the battery from Advance Auto Parts, we would strongly recommend that you purchase their "Premium" battery which Advance calls AutoCraft Gold. It comes with a 3-year free replacement warranty.
The best battery made by AutoCraft. Since it is AutoCraft top of the line battery it should be AGM battery but it is not. It comes with a 3-year warranty which is better than Silver and Economy but not the best warranty out there.
Here is am Autocraft Gold battery that was manufactured on 12/11 and was returned as a core exchange on 12/2017thoughthought the battery was manufactured on 12/11 it didn't get installed until several months later. This battery lasted approximately five years.
The best bang for the buck. Acceptable for daily driving. Not the best battery if your car is parked for extended periods of time. It may have problems with holding a charge when the car is parked for months. Comes with a 2-year warranty.
Shouldn't this be called AutoCraft Bronz? Comes with a 12-month warranty. It is the least expensive AutoCraft battery but in our opinion not worth it. Avoid it if you can! If you have are looking for a cheap battery, our preference would be to go with the Walmart Everlast brand. Most importantly don't install AutoCraft Economy batteries on high-end luxury cars such as Lexus, BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Due to the high current demand, these cars put on the battery. Makes such as BMW monitor battery voltage constantly, have specific charge cycles and even the small voltage fluctuations can trigger electrical system malfunctions. For such vehicles don't install anything less than AutoCraft Gold as long as it meets the specs required by your manufacturer.
Bad Experience with AutoCraft Battery
Have you bought an AutoCraft battery lately? Are you experiencing issues with your Autocraft battery? Common symptoms of AutoCraft batteries is the car struggling to start or the battery goes completely dead when the car is parked for several days. Well that's our story with one of the Autocraft batteries.
Here is another case of an Autocraft battery that was purchased in 2016 and was returned to the store in 2018.
You should take the battery back to the Advance Auto Parts store and perform a load test on the battery. The store may ask that keep your battery to fully charge it and perform the test when the battery is charged. If the battery test results come up good the store associate will not be able to issue you a free replacement battery.
Duralast vs Autocraft Battery
While the Autocraft brand is the battery sold by Advance Auto Parts, Duralast is sold at AutoZone. Duralast batteries are in the same price range as AutoCraft, they are competitors after all. We haven't had as much experience with Duralast batteries. Based on our research the Duralast Platinum Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery has great specs and based on the cell construction should last much longer than the AutoCraft lead acid filled batteries.
AutoCraft Gold Battery Beneftis
- Engineered with PowerFrame positive grid technology. It reduces premature and resists corrosion. More efficient than other grid design batteries according to the manufacturer.
- PowerFrame provides superior starting performance over the life of the battery. AutoCraft claims that they provide up to 70% better electrical flow than other grid technologies.
- Maintenance free for maximum convenience
- 3-year free replacement warranty
AutoCraft Batteries for BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz
Luxury vehicles are equipped with computers, control units, sensors and other equipment that demand high power consumption. Your best choice would be to install an approved battery that meets your OEM specs, in most cases, they will be an AGM battery. AutoCraft batteries especially economy line may cause electrical issues since these cars are so sensitive to voltage fluctuations.Back to top
1. AutoCraft Battery Warranty Information
This is a summary of the AutoCraft Battery Warranty. Complete warranty details can be found here: AutoCraft Batteries Limited Warranty page.
Length of warranty
Warranty begins the day you purchase the battery and expires at the end of the warranty period printed on your original receipt or the Order Confirmation email. Can not be transferred to new owner.
- AutoCraft Gold - 3-year free replacement.
- AutoCraft Silver - 2-year free replacement.
- AutoCraft Economy - 1-year free replacement.
What's not covered by AutoCraft Warranty
AutoCraft warranty does not cover:
- failure due to misuse,
- accident or collision,
- improper installation
- marine applications
Posted by Joe Gullifer on Apr 20, 2017 @ 15:14 pm
Autocraft batteries are JUNK and their service is even worse!! Paid $100 a year ago for a battery for my Harley. Did not even last a year. 3 Month warranty I was told. emailed the company. No response. DO NOT BUY!!!
Posted by PDM on Jul 18, 2017 @ 15:25 pm
The PowerFrame grid equipped batteries are built by Johnson Controls. Their website has all the info on that. Comparing these batteries to any other Chinese Autocraft battery is disingenuous and misleading. Autocraft Gold and Platinum(AGM) batteries are as good as anything else out there.