A Tesla VIN decoder allows you to look up options, models, years, engines, transmissions, and specifications.
To check what engine, transmission, and options are installed on your vehicle, use the VIN Decoder Tool.
HOW TO DECODE TESLA VIN
Position one in the Tesla VIN identifies the country where the vehicle is assembled.
1, 4, 5 United States
Position two of the VIN identifies the manufacturer of the Tesla vehicle.
- Y – Tesla
Position three of the Tesla VIN identifies the band division of the vehicle. The character identifies the manufacturer of the vehicle even if they have a number of divisions.
These first three positions of the Tesla VIN are known as the World Make Identifiers (WMI). Some of these examples for your Tesla may be as follows:
|Make||WMI||Manufacturer||Brand Owner||Country Code||Country|
|TESLA||5YJ||TESLA MOTORS (USA)||TESLA MOTORS||5Y||USA|
|TESLA||SFZ||LOTUS (GB)||TESLA MOTORS||SF||United Kingdom|
This position in the Tesla VIN identifies the model of the vehicle.
- R – Tesla Roadster
- S – Tesla Model S
- X – Tesla Model X
This position identifies the body type of Tesla. It also specifies the maximum allowed weight index for the Tesla Model X.
- A – hatchback, 5 dv., LHD
- B – hatchback, 5 dv., RHD
- C – minivan, 5 dv, LHD, 6001 … 7000 lbs. (2722 .. .3175 kg)
- D – minivan, 5 dv, RHD, 6001 … 7000 pounds (2722 … 3175 kg)
- E – Roadster / cabriolet, LHD
*For Tesla Roadster, position six of the VIN identifies the region.
1 – United States
*For other Tesla models, this position identifies the security systems that have been incorporated in the vehicle.
- 1 – inertial seat belts, front airbags, side airbags, knee airbags, with presence sensor
- 2 – inertia seat belts with pre-tensioners, front airbags, side airbags for both rows, airbags for the knees
- 3 – inertia seat belts, front airbags, side inflatable curtain airbags for the knees
- 4 – inertial seat belts with pre-tensioners, front airbags, and inflatable side curtain airbags for the knees
- A – inertial seat belts with pre-tensioners, front airbags, side inflatable curtains,
*For Tesla Roadster, this position identifies the security systems that have been incorporated into the vehicle.
- 1 – inertial seat belts and front airbags
- A – inertial seat belts with pre-tensioners and front airbags (from the model year 2010)
*For other Tesla models, this position identifies the type of battery or charging system (from 2012) or type of power (from 2015) that the vehicle has.
- A – Charger 10 kW
- B – Charger 20 kW
- C – Charger 10 kW with fast charging DC
- D – Charger 20 kW with fast charging DC
- E – Electro
- H – Extended-capacity lithium-ion battery
- S – Lithium-ion Standard capacity battery
Position eight identifies the power point in the Tesla vehicle.
- 1 – one 3-phase AC motor Tesla M6B (“standard”)
- 2 – two 3-phase AC motors Tesla M6B (“standard”)
- 3 – one 3-phase AC motor Tesla M6S (“powerful”)
- 4 – Two 3-phase AC motors Tesla M6S (“powerful”)
- B – Tesla 56C with 2-speed gearbox
- C – “basic” AC motor, 2-component battery (31 … 40 kWh)
- G – Basic “AC motor, 4-component battery (51 … 60 kWh)
- N – ” basic “AC motor, 7-component battery (81 … 90 kWh)
- P – “powerful” variable motor Current, 7-component battery (81 … 90 kWh)
Position nine is held by the check digit of the Tesla VIN. This is an algebraically generated number that checks for the validity of the entered VIN.
Position 10 “Model Year
Position ten of the Tesla VIN is held by a character that represents the year of production of the vehicle, as shown in the table below.
|Year of Issue||Designation||Year of Issue||Designation||Year of Issue||Designation|
Position 11 Assembly Plant
Position eleven of the Tesla VIN identifies the assembly plant of the vehicle. This character identifies the exact plant even if the manufacturer has multiple plants.
- 1 – Menlo Park (USA)
- 3 – Hetel (United Kingdom)
- F – Fremont (California, USA)
- P – Palo Alto (California, USA)
This position identifies the phase of development and production of the Tesla vehicle.
- 0 – Series production vehicle (serial copy) [for Tesla Roadster]
- A – Alpha prototype (alpha prototype)
- B – Beta prototype (beta prototype)
- F – Founder series vehicle
- P – Production vehicle (serial copy)
- R – Release candidate vehicle
- S – Signature series vehicle (an instance from a nominal series)
Position 13 – 17
Position thirteen through seventeen of the Tesla VIN represents the serial number of the vehicle. This set of characters are not standardized, and their choice is solely dependent on the manufacturer™s preferences.
Tesla models are as listed below:
- Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5
- Tesla Model S sedan
- 70D 75D 90D
- Tesla Model X
EXAMPLE DECODED TESLA VIN
2012 Tesla Model S
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors USA
Model: Model S
Body: Hatchback 5dr/ LHD
Charger: 20kW Charger with DC fast charge
Phase: Signature Series Vehicle
Engine: Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90kWh)
Region/ Plant: Fremont California USA
OPTIONS AND FEATURE CODES
- REEU Region European Union
- CONL Netherlands
- CH01 Twin 10kW charge configuration
- AD04 3phase Universal Mobile Connector (UMC)
- AD06 Adapter, Schuko (1 phase, 13A)
- AD07 3-ph Red IEC309 (3 phase, 16A)
- ADPC2 Type 2 Public Charging Connector
- ADX8 No – Blue IEC309 (1 phase, 32A)
- AF01 Charcoal air filter, Air ionizer
- BC0B Black Brake Calipers
- PSPRX4 No Four-year prepaid Annual Service with Ranger Service
- PSPX4 No Four-year prepaid
- WXW2 No – 19″ Wheels with Nokian Winter Tires
- WXW3 No – 19″ Wheels with Pirelli Winter Tires
- AU00 No Sound Studio Package
- BS00 No Blind Spot Sensor Package
- BT85 85 kWh Battery
- CW00 No Cold Weather Package
- DRLH Left Hand Drive
- DSH5 PUR Dashboard
- DV2W Single Motor
- EUSB Safety EU Black
- FG02 Fog Lamps
- HP00 No High Power Connector
- IDHM IP DÃ©cor Horizontal Matte
- IX00 No Extended Nappa Leather Trim
- LP01 Lighting Package
- LT1B Lower Trim
- ME02 Seat Memory LHD Driver
- MS03 Model S Standard 2014
- PA00 No Paint Armor
- PF00 No Performance
- PK01 Parking Sensors
- PMAB Brown
- PS01 Parcel Shelf
- QPMB Black Nappa Leather Seats
- RFPO All Glass Panoramic Roof
- S02B BLK Leather
- SC01 Supercharge Hardware
- SP01 Security Package
- SR01 Standard 2nd row
- SU01 Active Air Suspension
- TIC2 21″ Conti CSC5P
- TM00 Model S
- TP01 Tech Package
- TR00 No Rear Facing Seats
- UTMF Upper Trim
- WT21 21″ Silver Wheels
- X001 Override: Power Lift gate
- X003 Override: Navigation YES
- X007 Override: Premium exterior lighting YES &”
We hope you find the Tesla VIN Decoder guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Tesla.