Need to replace the steering wheel of your Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class? This guide is a step-by-step procedure for replacing or removing the steering wheel on a 2017 Mercedes Benz GLA250.
What you will need
- Mercedes-Benz GLA250 Steering Wheel
- 10mm hex socket wrench
- Pentel pen
- Pick tool
- 10mm wrench
- Park the vehicle on flat ground and set the steering wheel to the center. The front wheels must be pointing straight forward.
- Disconnect the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Loosen the 10mm bolt on the terminals and pull the terminals out from the battery posts.
- Press the horn for a few seconds to discharge any current that might inflate the airbag when being removed.
- Wait five minutes before moving on to the next step.
- Locate the hole on the back of the steering wheel.
- Insert the screwdriver into the hole and use it to push the spring holding the airbag. Do that on both sides. If the airbag has never been removed, there will be two small indents but no holes. You will have to puncture holes where the small indents are located on the side of the steering wheel.
- Once the airbag is released, pull it out and hold it carefully.
- Disconnect the electrical connector and put the airbag in a safe place. To disconnect the airbag wires, you will first need to pry off the orange piece at the center. Then unplug the connector from the airbag.
- Have a helper hold the steering wheel to prevent it from moving when loosening the bolt on the center steering wheel.
- Remove the center bolt on the steering wheel using a hex socket wrench and turn it counterclockwise.
- Put marks on the steering wheel and steering column using a permanent marker. This will help you reinstall the steering wheel in the same location.
- Disconnect the electrical connector on the left side of the steering column by pushing the clip and pulling it out.
- Pull the steering wheel out.
- Put the replacement steering wheel back to the steering column and check if the marks are aligned.
- Reconnect the electrical connector by pushing it in.
- Reinstall the center bolt with the proper torque specification. Put a thread locker glue on the bolt to prevent it from loosening when driving.
- Reconnect the connector of the airbag and push the airbag back on the steering wheel.
Airbag Light On
If the airbag light is on after replacing your vehicle’s steering wheel, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes/reset the airbag light. The scanner can also read and clear fault codes through every vehicle’s control module.
We hope you find the Remove/Install Steering Wheel Mercedes-Benz 2014-2019 X156 guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!