Diagnose BMW Seat Modules SMFA and SMBF
BMW uses SMFA and SMBF to refer to the drivers and passenger seat modules. The driver’s seat module (SMFA) and passenger seat module (SMBF) activate the seat memory and the mirror memory. Another function of these modules is the adjustment of the front seats controlled by Hall sensors.
When the BMW Seat module fails, notice these symptoms such as:
- not being able to adjust the seats
- side mirrors
- can’t store seat position in memory
If you are experiencing problems with your BMW seats, first check the seat fuses, relay, and even the seat motor.
If you are still experiencing problems with the seats, the next step is to read fault codes from the Seat module.
For this step, you will need a BMW diagnostic scanner capable of reading fault codes from the BMW Seat module. The YOUCANIC Full System Scanner can read and clear fault codes through every control module of your BMW vehicle.
- Plugin the OBD-II scanner into the diagnostic port under the dashboard.
- Turn on the ignition; don’t start the engine.
- Turn on the scanner and select your BMW chassis. Next, Select the Control Units menu.
- Select the Seat Module.
- Once you enter the Seat module, you will be able to do the following.
- Read Codes from Seat Module
- Clear Codes from Seat Module
- Perform Adaptations, Activations, Tests
- If any code is showing PRESENT status, the problem needs to be fixed before the code can be cleared.
- If you can not communicate with your BMW seat module, your module is defective, or your vehicle is not equipped with a seat module.
- If the vehicle is not equipped with the “Seat memory” option, that vehicle will not have a seat module nor Hall sensors fitted. In such cases, when you try to access the seat module, you will get no communication error.
- In these BMWs, the seat is adjusted until it reaches an end position. When you move the seat all the way forward or backward, junction box electronics (JBE) recognize the increased power draw at the end of the rail. The JBE will switch the seat motor off if an excessive power draw is present.
We hope you find the Diagnose BMW Seat Modules SMFA and SMBF guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.
My Driver seat won’t move but lumbar support works. All passenger controls work. Seat control module doesn’t show in menu to get to diagnostics.