In this guide, you will find the steps to replace the clock spring on a Mercedes-Benz vehicle. The video is based on the Mercedes-Benz C-Class W204 chassis, but other models’ clock spring replacement procedures is similar. The challenging part will be releasing the airbag from the steering wheel.
How to Replace Mercedes-Benz Clock Spring
What will you need
- Clockspring Assembly
- Allen Wrench
- Disconnect the battery first to prevent the airbag from deploying. It could also trigger the airbag indicator warning light. See tips on disconnecting the battery here in this link: 2009-2013 Mercedes S-Class Main Battery Replacement.
- Remove T25 bolts on both sides of the back of the steering wheel. In other newer models, it doesn’t have holes in the back, but you use a screwdriver to release the airbag from its indents.
- Loosen bolts to remove the airbag. See tips here in this link to remove the airbag: Mercedes-Benz C-Class W204 Airbag Replacement Procedure.
- Disconnect the airbag connector from the steering wheel by pressing the clips to release it.
- Remove the 10mm Allen hex bolt that holds the steering wheel using the Allen wrench.
- Remove the steering wheel. You may mark it at the center to place it in the same angle position to prevent it from becoming off-center.
- Pull the clockspring. Disconnect the locking tab to release the clockspring assembly.
- Install the new clockspring assembly.
Replacing the clockspring is easy. Ensure you follow the procedures provided in this guide for dismantling the steering wheel to save time and make it operable.
Airbag Light On
If the airbag light is on after replacing the clock spring, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to reset the airbag light. This scanner can also read and clear fault codes through every vehicle’s control module.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the common signs of a faulty clockspring?
The horn malfunctions
The cruise control does not work
The airbag might not deploy
Do you have to reprogram the vehicle after replacing a new clockspring?
The vehicle must undergo reprogramming if it has a steering wheel angle sensor. See tips here in this link: How to Properly Set a New Clock Spring.
How much does a Clock Spring replacement cost?
The parts will cost around $100 – $150, for the labor will cost around $100-$200, depending on the model of your vehicle.