Replace Front Air Suspension Strut on Mercedes-Benz S-Class 2006-2013
Is your Mercedes-Benz S-Class leaning on one side due to a faulty air suspension strut? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the air strut suspension of your vehicle. This guide is a step-by-step procedure for replacing the front air suspension strut on a 2006-2013 Mercedes-Benz S-Class W221.
What you will need
- Tire rod or breaker bar
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- Flat screwdriver or pick tool
- 21mm wrench
- Torx wrench
- 10mm socket wrench
- 13mm socket wrench
- Mercedes-Benz W221 air suspension strut
- Park the vehicle on a flat ground surface.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and locate the hood latch release by the front grill.
- Pull the tab up to unlock the hood latch and raise the hood until the hood stays open.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the front wheel using a tire rod or a breaker bar. You may need to use a 17mm butterfly socket to get the lug nuts out.
- Jack up the vehicle’s front and support the vehicle with jack stands.
- Remove the lug nuts and pull the wheel out of the vehicle.
- Push the metal clip down located on the ABS sensor connector. Then pry out the clip and disconnect the connector beside the ABS sensor.
- Pull the connector’s cable out from the rubber grommet clips.
- Remove the 21mm mounting bolt on the bottom of the air suspension strut. Use a 21mm wrench and a Torx wrench to hold the center bolt.
- Loosen the 10mm bolt on the airline above the air suspension strut and then pull it out to remove it.
- Remove the three 13mm bolts above the air suspension strut using a 13mm socket wrench.
- Use a hammer to push the port of the 21mm mounting bolt out of the vehicle.
- Remove the air suspension strut by carrying it out of the vehicle.
- Install the metal plate above the air suspension strut.
- Line up the new air suspension strut to the vehicle.
- Reinstall the 21mm mounting bolt below the air suspension strut.
- Place the cable of the connector back to its original position and clip it back to the ABS sensor connector.
- Reconnect the electrical connectors back to the vehicle.
- Reinstall the three 13mm bolts above the air suspension strut.
- Insert the airline back into the air suspension strut and tighten the 10mm nut to lock it in position.
- Reinstall the front wheel back to the vehicle.
We hope you find the Replace Front Air Suspension Strut on Mercedes-Benz S-Class 2006-2013 guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.