Is your Mercedes-Benz S-Class leaning on one side due to a faulty air suspension strut? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the air strut suspension of your vehicle. This guide is a step-by-step procedure for replacing the front air suspension strut on a 2006-2013 Mercedes-Benz S-Class W221.
How to Replace Front Air Suspension Strut on Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Replacing Mercedes Front Air Suspension Strut
What you will need
- Tire rod or breaker bar
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- Flat screwdriver or pick tool
- 21mm wrench
- Torx wrench
- 10mm socket wrench
- 13mm socket wrench
- Mercedes-Benz W221 air suspension strut
- Park the vehicle on a flat ground surface.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and locate the hood latch release by the front grill.
- Pull the tab up to unlock the hood latch and raise the hood until the hood stays open.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the front wheel using a tire rod or a breaker bar. You may need a 17mm butterfly socket to remove the lug nuts.
- Jack up the vehicle’s front and support the vehicle with jack stands.
- Remove the lug nuts and pull the wheel out of the vehicle.
- Push the metal clip down located on the ABS sensor connector. Then, pry out the clip and disconnect the connector beside the ABS sensor.
- Pull the connector’s cable out from the rubber grommet clips.
- Remove the 21mm mounting bolt on the bottom of the air suspension strut. Use a 21mm and Torx wrench to hold the center bolt.
- Loosen the 10mm bolt on the airline above the air suspension strut and then pull it out to remove it.
- Remove the 13mm bolts above the air suspension strut using a 13mm socket wrench.
- Use a hammer to push the port of the 21mm mounting bolt out of the vehicle.
- Remove the air suspension strut by carrying it out of the vehicle.
- Install the metal plate above the air suspension strut.
- Line up the new air suspension strut to the vehicle.
- Reinstall the 21mm mounting bolt below the air suspension strut.
- Place the connector’s cable back to its original position and clip it back to the ABS sensor connector.
- Reconnect the electrical connectors back to the vehicle.
- Reinstall the three 13mm bolts above the air suspension strut.
- Insert the airline back into the air suspension strut and tighten the 10mm nut to lock it in position.
- Reinstall the front wheel back to the vehicle.
We hope the Replace Front Air Suspension Strut on Mercedes-Benz S-Class 2006-2013 guide is helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.