It’s important to ensure that the headlights are always correctly aligned. If the Volvo headlights are misaligned, you can easily adjust them yourself.
How to Adjust the Headlights on a Volvo
All you have to do is follow these simple steps.
- First, ensure that the Volvo is parked facing a flat wall and is close to begin. This could be in front of your garage door or a large brick wall.
- Mark the center of your vehicle on the wall. Do this by finding the car’s center, usually where the logo or font license plate is, and placing a piece of masking tape on the wall directly in front of the car.
- Then, you need to mark the center of each headlight. Place a vertical strip of masking tape on the wall directly in front of the center of each headlight. After that, use a measuring tape to measure how high the headlights are from the ground. Then, place a piece of horizontal masking tape on the wall high off the ground for each headlight.
- So when you’re done with all that, you should have two crosses of tape on the wall in front of each headlight and one piece of tape vertically marking where the car’s center is.
- Back up your car about twenty-five feet away from the wall. Now, turn the headlights on so they are shining on the wall. You’ll want to do this when it’s dark outside or in a dark garage.
- The Volvo has two adjustment screws for each headlight, the horizontal headlight screw is on the inside of the housing, and the vertical screw is on top of the housing.
Using the horizontal and vertical screws, adjust each headlight so that the beam is two to four inches to the right of the vertical centerline and two to four inches below the horizontal centerline. You can adjust the screws using a Phillips head screwdriver.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
Also, to make it easier, you can adjust one headlight at a time by placing a piece of cardboard or chair in front of one headlight while working on the other. Check Volvo’s user manual to get specific headlight adjustment information for your car.
We hope you find the Adjust Volvo Headlights guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Volvo.