This guide provides instructions on changing the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor on a 2004-2013 BMW 3-Series.
The mass airflow sensor is held with two screws and is very straightforward to replace. The sensor itself is located near the air filter housing on the driver’s side of the engine.
- BMW is hard to start or has trouble turning over.
- 3-Series engine stalls soon after starting.
- BMW 3-Series engine drags or hesitates when idle or under load.
- BMW hesitates and jerks during acceleration.
- BMW 3-Series engine hiccups.
What you will need
- BMW MAF Sensor
- Torx Socket Set
- Ratchet Wrench
- Open the hood of your BMW. The hood release is located under the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Locate the mass airflow sensor by the engine air filter housing on the driver’s side.
- Unplug the electrical connector from your BMW mass airflow sensor.
- Remove the Torx screws that hold the mass airflow sensor in place.
- Install the new MAF on your BMW. Tight the screws so that they are snug. Plug the electrical connector until it locks in place.
These guidelines apply to BMW E90, E91, E92, and E93 vehicles manufactured from 2004-2013.
We hope you find the 2004-2013 BMW 3-Series Mass Air Flow MAF Sensor Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.