This guide will give instructions on replacing your Mercedes-Benz Camshaft Adjuster Magnets, sometimes called sensors or solenoids. The steps outlined below show how to replace driver’s side sensors which are harder due to limited space. On the other hand, the passenger side sensors are much more straightforward to replace.
The M272 and M273 engines have four Camshaft Adjuster Magnets. In addition, the check engine light may come on with codes such as P0011, P0012, P0015, and P0014.
What you will need
- Mercedes Benz magnetic cam sensor
- e-8 wrench
- Long flat-head screwdriver
- Small flat-head screwdriver
- Quarter-inch wrench
- T-handle e8-wrench
- Place the vehicle in the park.
- Allow the engine to cool down.
- Pop the hood open by pulling the hood release under the hood.
- Use the suction pump to drain all power steering fluid.
- Remove the power steering reservoir. You will find the steps in power steering reservoir removal at this link.
- Using an e-8 t-wrench, remove all bolts from the exhaust cam magnetic sensor.
- Disconnect electrical connections of the exhaust cam magnetic sensor using a flathead screwdriver to push the tabs on the connectors.
- If it drops out of your grip, place something to catch the sensor, then pry out the exhaust cam magnetic sensor using a flathead screwdriver.Ensure that the exhaust cam magnetic sensor sealing 0-ring is removed from the hole, and be sure to include a new ring during replacement.
- Lubricate the new exhaust cam magnetic sensor before installation, so it will be easy to install it.
- Position the new exhaust cam magnetic sensor in place, and install the o-ring together with it.
- Using an e-8 socket, reinstall the retaining bolts, carefully balancing the torque on three bolts.
- Reconnect the electrical connectors on the exhaust cam magnetic sensor.
- To remove the intake magnetic cam sensor, you must first remove the exhaust cam position sensor, which has two bolts.
- Move the exhaust cam position sensor out of the way.
- Using a flat head screwdriver, disconnect the intake cam position sensor connector and move it out of the way.
- Remove the intake cam position sensor by removing the e-8 bolt.
- Using an e-8 socket, remove two exposed bolts from the intake cam magnetic sensor.
- Using a quarter-inch wrench, remove the bolt hidden behind the oil cooler. The other option is to remove the oil cooler, which takes more time.
- You may use a flat-head screw and a finger to remove the bolt since the headroom would max out completely, and the wrench would no longer be usable.
- Pry the intake magnetic cam sensor out using a flat head screwdriver.
- Remove the intake cam sensor, don’t forget to take out the old o-ring.
- Lubricate the new intake magnetic cam sensor rubber o-ring.
- Install the new intake magnetic cam sensor.
- You may use a long flat head screwdriver to press the magnetic sensor in place.
- Install retaining bolts to accessible slots.
- Tighten the accessible retaining bolts.
- Install the last retaining bolt by hand first.
- Fasten the last retaining bolt using a quarter-inch wrench. Due to the limited space, it will be challenging to get the first few threads started.
- Install the exhaust cam position sensor and tighten its bolts; ensure the O-ring is attached to the sensor. Next, make sure the old O-ring is removed. In some cases, the old o-ring gets stuck, and you end up with two o-rings, which will lead to the sensor sitting flush and oil leaks developing.
- Install the intake cam position sensor and then fasten its bolt to make sure the o-ring is attached to the sensor.
- Reconnect all electrical connectors for cam position sensors (intake and exhaust) and magnetic cam sensors (intake and exhaust).
- Camshaft solenoid bolts – 8Nm
- B6/4 – Camshaft position sensor (intake left)
- B6/6 – Camshaft position sensor (exhaust left)
- B6/7 – Camshaft position sensor (exhaust right)
- B6/5 – Camshaft position sensor (intake right)
- B11/4 – Engine coolant temperature sensor
- B70 – Crankshaft hall sensor
- Y49/5 – Camshaft timing control solenoid (exhaust right)
- Y49/7 – Camshaft timing control Solenoid (Intake right)
- Y49/4 – Camshaft timing control solenoid (intake left)
- Y49/6 – Camshaft timing control Solenoid (exhaust left)
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can I drive with the check engine light on and code P0015?
The first symptom of a failing camshaft sensor manifests as a check engine light coming on. When the check engine light illuminates, the driver has enough time to service the car and replace faulty parts. It could lead to a more expensive engine problem if you ignore this flashing light for a long period.
What is the purpose of a Mercedes Benz Magnetic Cam Sensor or camshaft adjuster Solenoid?
The camshaft adjuster solenoid’s (Magnetic Cam Sensor) primary purpose is to allow more oil to enter the system, ensuring proper lubrication under a more massive load.
How would you know that your magnetic cam sensor is bad?
The vehicle does not drive like it used to. If your vehicle idles roughly, stalls frequently, drop engine power, stumbles, reduces gas mileage, or accelerates slowly.
These are all signs your camshaft position sensor could be failing.
Check Engine Light comes on, which would produce code P0015.
The vehicle might not start.
Common part numbers for Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid / Actuator, Engine Variable Timing Adjuster Magnet.
- OE NO.: 2720510177
- INTERCHANGE PART NUMBERS:
- 272 051 01 77
- 272 051 00 77
- A 272 051 01 77
- A 272 051 00 77
- OTHER PART NUMBERS:
This part may also be known as Camshaft Adjuster Magnet
- 2006-2007 MERCEDES-BENZ C230 SPORT SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2006-2007 MERCEDES-BENZ C280 SPORT SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2008-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ C300 4MATIC LUXURY SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2006-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ C350 4MATIC SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2009-2010 MERCEDES-BENZ CL550 4MATIC COUPE 2-DOOR
- 2007-2008 MERCEDES-BENZ CL550 BASE COUPE 2-DOOR
- 2006-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK350 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2006-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK350 BASE COUPE 2-DOOR
- 2007-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK550 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2007-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK550 BASE COUPE 2-DOOR
- 2007-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ CLS550 BASE SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2006-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 4MATIC SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2006-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 4MATIC WAGON 4-DOOR
- 2011-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 4MATIC WAGON 4-DOOR
- 2011-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2010-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 BASE COUPE 2-DOOR
- 2006-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 BASE SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2006-2006 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 BASE WAGON 4-DOOR
- 2006-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 ELEGANCE SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2006-2010 MERCEDES-BENZ E350 SPORT SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2007-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E550 4MATIC SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2011-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E550 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2010-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E550 BASE COUPE 2-DOOR
- 2007-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ E550 BASE SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2009-2015 MERCEDES-BENZ G550 BASE SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2007-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ GL450 BASE SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2012-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ GL550 4MATIC SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2008-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ GL550 BASE SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2010-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ GLK350 4MATIC SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2010-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ GLK350 BASE SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2006-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ ML350 4MATIC SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2006-2007 MERCEDES-BENZ ML350 BASE SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2009-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ ML350 BASE SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2006-2006 MERCEDES-BENZ ML350 INTRODUCTION SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2008-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ ML350 LUJO SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2006-2006 MERCEDES-BENZ ML350 PREMIUM SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2010-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ ML350 SPORT AMG SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2010-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ ML450 HYBRID 4MATIC SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2008-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ ML550 BASE SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR
- 2006-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ R350 4MATIC WAGON 4-DOOR
- 2008-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ R350 BASE WAGON 4-DOOR
- 2010-2013 MERCEDES-BENZ S400 HYBRID SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2007-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ S550 4MATIC SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2007-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ S550 BASE SEDAN 4-DOOR
- 2012-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ SL550 AVANTGARDE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2007-2009 MERCEDES-BENZ SL550 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2011-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ SL550 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2012-2012 MERCEDES-BENZ SL550 GRAND EDITION CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2006-2008 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK280 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2009-2011 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK300 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR
- 2005-2010 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK350 BASE CONVERTIBLE 2-DOOR