Is your Ford Fusion brake feeling soft and weak? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing your vehicle’s rear brake pads and rotor. This guide is a step-by-step procedure for replacing the rear brake pads and rotor on a Ford Fusion 2013-2020.
What you will need
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- Beaker bar
- 7mm Allen wrench
- 15mm wrench
- Brake push tool
- Flat screwdriver
- Ford Fusion rear brake pads
- Ford Fusion rear rotor
- Park the vehicle on a flat-level ground surface.
- Set the vehicle in service mode. See the step-by-step process on how to set the vehicle to service mode.
3. Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheel using a breaker bar.
4. Jack up the vehicle’s rear and support the car with jack stands.
5. Remove the rear wheel by removing the lug nuts and pulling the wheel out.
6. Remove the metal clip on the brake caliper using a flat screwdriver by popping it out.
7. Loosen the top and bottom guide pins behind the brake caliper using a 7mm Allen wrench.
8. Pull the piston caliper out from the carrier.
9. Remove the brake pads on the caliper by pulling it out. If the brake pad won’t come out easily, use a flat screwdriver and pry them out.
10. Push the piston back using a piston pusher.
11. Remove the 15mm bolts on the back of the carrier bracket using a 15mm wrench.
12. Pull the carrier bracket out from the vehicle.
13. Remove the rotor by pulling it out. If the rotor does not come off easily, use a hammer to get it out. Penetrating fluid can help make this process more manageable if the rotor is rusted.
14, Clean the brake caliper and rotor’s installation port using a wire brush.
15. Install the new rotor on the vehicle.
16. Place the carrier bracket back to the rotor and reinstall the 15mm bolts of the carrier.
17. Line up the brake pads into the caliper and push them into place.
18. Place the caliper back to the rotor and tighten the guide pins to lock the caliper.
19. Line up the metal clip back to the caliper and press it in to set it into place.
20. Place the wheel back in the vehicle and tighten the lug nuts.
21. Set the parking brake out of maintenance mode.
- Caliper mounting bracket bolts
- Front 2013 and later: 111 ft-lbs
- Rear 2013 and later: 66 ft-lbs
- Caliper mounting bolts (these go into the guide pins)
- Front 2013 and later: 22 ft-lbs
- Rear 2013 and later: 21 ft-lbs
- Lug nuts
- 100 ft-lbs (135 N·m)
We hope you find the Ford Fusion Replace Rear Brake Pads & Rotors DIY guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Ford.