Vinyl car wrapping can help protect the vehicle’s original paintwork from light scratches and chips and protect it from UV damage. Please read our step-by-step instructions if you have wrapped your car in vinyl and need to wrap the door handle.
The easiest way to vinyl wrap a hood handle is to remove it from the vehicle. While it is possible to vinyl wrap the door handle on the car, removing it makes the wrapping process much easier. This article provides instructions on how to wrap a car’s door handle using a vinyl wrap.
What you will need
- Heat gun
- Small spatula
- Vinyl Wrap
- Use a small lever, like a squeegee, to extend the door handle in an open position.
- Using a scissor, cut out a rectangular piece of the vinyl. Cut the size with a width equal to three times the width of the handle and give at most half an inch allowance for the length of the handle.
- Peel off the vinyl to get it ready for installation.
- Tuck one end of the vinyl to one edge of the handle and ensure no wrinkle is present before continuing to the next process.
- Cold stretch the vinyl to mold the shape of the door handle.
- Use a heat gun to supplement the process.
- Use a small spatula to help with the reshaping of the vinyl.
- Cut the excess vinyl using a cutter.
- Warm the vinyl to help shape it to the contours of the handle.
- Tuck in the backside of the handle.
- Remove the squeegee from the door handle to make the door handle rest in its original position.
- Remove the handle’s lock portion and excess materials before reinstalling.
- Tuck the material into the edges using a small spatula or a squeegee.
- Re-install the door lock if removed.
- Cut out a hole on the key slot of the handle using a cutter.
Frequently Asked Questions
How difficult is it to wrap the door handles?
Usually wrapped as part of a door wrap, door handles are tough to wrap but are essential to match the rest of the car’s bodywork.
Is it cheaper to get a car painted or wrapped?
Wrapping your car is often less than half the price of a re-painting job.
How long does the vinyl wrap last?
It lasts five to seven years with proper preparation and care.
We hope you find the Wrap a Car Door Handle guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your vehicle.