Need to replace the steering wheel airbag of your Mercedes-Benz? Learn how to remove and replace your Mercedes-Benz steering wheel airbag by following the procedures below.
This guide is a step-by-step procedure to replace the steering wheel airbag on the Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156. The photos and video are recorded on a 2017 Mercedes Benz GLA250.
What you will need
- Steering wheel airbag (Mercedes Benz GLA250)
- Flat screwdriver or Allen wrench
- Prying tool
- 10mm wrench
- Open the hood. Pull the hood release under the dashboard, go to the vehicle’s front, unlock the hood latch, and pull the hood up. Use the hood strut to hold the hood up.
- Disconnect the battery’s negative terminal by loosening the 10mm bolt and pulling the cable from the battery post.
- Go to the driver’s seat and press the horn twice to discharge any residual current. Wait 5 minutes before continuing to the next step. This procedure prevents the airbag from inflating when being removed.
- Locate the holes on both sides behind the steering wheel. If the airbag has never been removed, you will notice the indents. Use the screwdriver to punch holes where the two indents are.
- Insert a screwdriver into the holes horizontally.
- Push the screwdriver inside the hole to detach the steering wheel’s spring. Do this procedure on the other side too.
- Once the airbag pops out, carefully pull the airbag out of the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors of the airbag by pulling up the orange clip and pulling the connector out. Use a plastic prying tool to pull the clip and connector out.
- Pull the clip holding the connector cables of the airbag.
- Put the steering airbag in a safe place.
- Get the replacement airbag and connect the electrical connectors to the proper connection port.
- Line up the airbag to the steering wheel and push it to lock into its place.
Airbag Light On
If the airbag light is on after replacing your vehicle’s steering wheel, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes/reset the airbag light. The scanner can also read and clear fault codes through every vehicle’s control module.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
We hope you find the Airbag Replacement Mercedes-Benz 2014–2020 X156 guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.