Is your airbag light illuminated on your Chevrolet dashboard? Learn how to fix it by following the procedures below.
If the Chevrolet airbag light stays on and won’t turn off, it is because the Safety Restraint System (SRS) has detected a problem with one of the airbag components. Two possibilities include damaged wires or low voltage.
While the airbag light stays on, the SRS system will not function, and no airbag will deploy in case of an accident. Don’t ignore the airbag light. Get the airbag system diagnosed as soon as possible.
What Causes Chevy Airbag Light to Come On?
Chevrolet airbag light may come on due to several possible issues such as:
- Low battery voltage caused by a dead battery
- Passenger weight sensor defective
- Previous accident
- Deployed airbags
- Faulty seat belts
- Damaged crash sensor
- Bad clock spring
- Wiring harness damaged
Read fault codes from the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) / airbag system to narrow down the problem.
How to Reset Airbag Light on a Chevy
Below you will find instructions on how to read codes from the airbag module and clear them appropriately.
For this procedure, you will need a Chevrolet Airbag Scan Tool. A generic OBD-II scanner will show no fault codes, even though airbag codes are present and the airbag light is on.
- Under your Chevrolet dashboard, you will find the Onboard Diagnostic port, also known as the OBD-II port. All 1996 and newer Chevrolet have this port.
- Plug your Chevrolet Airbag Scan Tool into the 16-pin OBD2 port. The trapezoid port allows the scanner to plug only in one direction.
- Turn on the ignition. Do not start the engine. If your Chevrolet has a START/STOP button, press this button without pressing the brake pedal.
- Allow the Chevrolet airbag scanner to power on. The scanner should turn on once the ignition is turned on or to position II. Once the scanner is fully powered, select Chevrolet from the menu.
- Follow the prompting on the diagnostic scanner to select your model. Next, manually select the AIRBAG SYSTEM. Scroll down to read codes and scan your Chevrolet for airbag fault codes. If the codes you retrieve are PRESENT or CURRENT status, you will need to fix that problem before you can clear the airbag light.
- If the status of the codes is STORED or PAST, it is ok to clear the code. For example, an airbag fault code triggered by battery voltage can be erased once the battery has been recharged. After you clear, the Chevrolet airbag light, turn off the ignition, then back on to determine if the airbag light has been reset.
- Go back to the Airbag / SRS control unit.
- Scroll down to Clear / Erase Fault Codes and press enter.
If the problem hasn’t been fixed, the airbag light will return immediately or immediately after the problem is detected.
These instructions apply to Chevy Spark, Sonic, Bolt, Volt, Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Camaro, Corvette, City Express, Trax, Equinox, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Colorado, Silverado, Sonic, Blazer, Astro, HHR, Uplander, Avalanche, etc.
Chevrolet has issued several airbag recalls over the years.
Find your VIN at the lower-left corner of the windshield and call any Chevy dealer to check if any recalls are open.
If there is an open recall for your Chevy airbag system, the dealer may fix that problem-free charge if related to the recall. The dealer will need to diagnose the vehicle and verify that the airbag light is on because of the recall.
Dealers are not responsible for fixing all airbag problems free of charge—only those related to the recall.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I reset Chevy’s airbag light by disconnecting the battery?
- Disconnecting the battery for a few hours and reconnecting it does not clear the Chevrolet vehicles’ airbag fault codes. You will need a diagnostic scanner to read and clear Chevrolet airbag codes.
The Chevy airbag light is on, but there are no codes.
- If you scan the car with an OBD-II scanner and don’t get any codes, the most likely cause is that you are using a generic scanner that can not access the Chevrolet airbag module. Instead of using a generic scanner, use an airbag scanner for Chevy.
How can I reset the airbag light on a Chevy?
- Use an airbag scanner to read the fault codes via the OBD-II port under the dashboard. Address all fault codes shown when you read the codes. Use the scanner to reset the codes.
We hope you find this “Chevy Airbag Light Stays On | Troubleshooting Guide” helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Chevrolet vehicle.