Replace Chevrolet Mass Air Flow | MAF
Is your Chevrolet hard to start, the engine stalls after starting, or the engine runs lean or rich? Learn how to fix it by following the procedures below.
The engine control unit uses data from the MAF sensor to calculate the correct mixture of air and fuel that the engine needs. A Chevy MAF sensor is next to the engine air filter housing. It can get dirty and fail over time.
Symptoms that you may notice when your MAF sensor fails:
- Check engine light on
- The car is hard to start or has trouble turning over.
- Engine stalls soon after starting.
- The engine runs lean or rich.
- Engine drags or hesitates when idle or under load.
- Engines RPMs fluctuate
- Poor MPG
How to Replace Chevy MAF Sensor
Changing the mass airflow sensor on a Chevrolet is easy and takes less than 30 minutes. MAF sensor is located near the air filter housing, as shown in the following picture.
What you will need
- Chevrolet MAF Sensor
- Open the hood of your Chevrolet. The hood release is located under the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Locate the mass airflow sensor near the engine air filter housing.Mass airflow of other chevy vehicles.
- Press the red clip slightly to unlock it. Unplug the electrical connector from the mass airflow sensor.
- Remove the screws that hold the mass airflow sensor in place. Remove the sensor.
- Install the new MAF on your Chevrolet. Tighten the screws so that they are snug. Plug the electrical connector until it locks in place.
The check engine light will require a few days of driving to reset on its own. Or you can use an OBD-II scanner to reset the check engine light as long as there aren’t any other fault codes.
Check Engine Light Still On
If the check engine light is still on after you replace the mass airflow sensor, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes. This scanner can also read and clear fault codes on every control module of your Chevrolet.
This guide will help owners of the following Chevrolets. Learn how easy it is to change the MAF sensor.
- City Express
We hope you find this guide, “Replace Chevrolet Mass Air Flow | MAF,” helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Chevrolet vehicle.
Putting in a new MAF will do absolutely nothing to the transmission but help your car run better. Tell them to get bent.
100$ is a little high for a 10 min job but hey they have shop overhead cost. You can change it yourself though, it is very simple.
As far as you loosing the transmission warranty, that I am not sure about.
I was told that my MAF sensor was contaminated and it needs to be clean (decontaminated) the part will cost $16.86 and the labor is $100.00. The mechanic advised that this needs to completed ASAP. I told him I can not afford the service right now and he told me that this may cause me to loose my warrantee coverage on my transmission? This sounds kind of fishy, labor at 100.00 dollars??