Are you getting the dashboard’s yellow ” Parking Brake Failure ” warning? If your BMW electronic parking brakes are not working, in most cases, the problem lies in the BMW parking brake actuator (also referred to as the EMF module).
The module is mounted by the trunk when it fails the yellow PARK light to stay on. This problem also affects the 2002-2008 Rolls-Royce Phantom.
- BMW parking brake malfunction
- The yellow PARK light stays on all the time.
- Fault code 600D or 600E in ECU EEPROM DATA
- The Park brake light will not go off, even when the car is moving.
- Can’t turn off the automatic brake
- Orange Brake Light is ON when starting the car.
- Manual release of the parking brake not working.
These symptoms can affect many BMW models equipped with electronic parking brakes. Including 5-series, 7-series, Z4, X5, i3; chassis such as E70, E65, F10, E66.
How to Reset BMW Parking Brake
First, try a soft reset of the BMW Parking Brake.
- Press and hold the parking pedal.
- Turn on the ignition.
- Press and hold the Parting Brake (P) button for five seconds.
If this doesn’t work, reset the parking brake module using one of these methods.
Remove the Parking Brake Fuse
Remove the Parking brake fuse for at least five minutes. The parking brake fuse is located in the fuse box in the trunk. In your fuse chart, it will be marked as P. It usually fuses numbers 10, 94, and 129, but it can be any fuse. Check the fuse chart.
Alternatively, you can disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least 15 minutes.
If you disconnect the battery, you do not need to register the battery. Still, your comfort memory settings, such as radio preset, seat memory positions, etc., may need to reset.
If none of the above solutions worked, the next step is to read the Electronic Parking module’s fault codes. A generic OBD2 scanner will not allow you to read fault codes related to the parking brake.
You need a BMW scanner to read the Parking Brake / Electromechanical module. Read the ABS and DSC module codes, or perform a full system scan. The YOUCANIC Full System Scanner can read and clear fault codes through every control module of the BMW vehicle.
The parking brake actuator is the most common problem that causes the yellow BMW PARK light.
- Software issue – BMW parking brake problems in some cases can be fixed by performing a software update at the dealer.
- Loose connector – Examine the connector to the parking brake module actuator. A corroded wire can trigger intermittent parking brake errors.
- Weak battery – A weak battery can prevent the parking brake from releasing. You most likely experience other electrical problems if your BMW is not holding a charge. Follow this guide to learn how to replace a BMW battery.
- Parking Brake Actuator – The gear inside the parking brake actuator can break. A common problem on BMW with electronic brakes triggers the yellow PARK light to stay on.
The parking brake actuator can fail and is one of the most common failures. The gear inside the parking brake actuator that engages and disengages the parking brakes can break.
It is possible to fix the BMW parking brake problem yourself. You can open your old parking brake actuator and install an upgraded BMW Parking Brake Gear Actuator in about two hours.
You can have the dealer or an auto mechanic fix the BMW parking brake problem. At the dealer, BMW electronic parking brake actuator repair costs over $700.
BMW iDrive Parking Brake Malfunction messages
- The parking brake failed. To park, engage transmission position P. If necessary, carry out emergency release of the parking brake.
- Parking Brake Malfunction Service Now Visit a BMW Dealer for inspection.
- PARKING FAULT ERROR
- Parking Brake Failed Please contact your BMW center.
- Parking brake malfunction. Engage pos. P for the park. If req. Use emerg. Release of the parking brake. Emerg. Braking function, ok.
- Only transmission range D is available. P engages automatically when the engine is switched off.
Frequently Asked Questions
I checked the gear inside the parking brake module, and it is not damaged; what could be wrong?
If the gear is not the problem, check the power going to the parking module motor. The problem could be the ABS module located in the engine bay, passenger side. We recommend reading fault codes from the DSC module to troubleshoot this problem further.
Why does my OBD2 scanner show no fault code for the parking brake?
Many BMW owners try to read parking brake faults using generic OBD2 scanners. These basic scanners can only read Engine Control Unit codes. Parking brake fault codes are not stored in the ECU. They are stored in the EMF module. To read BMW parking brake codes, you will need a BMW-specific scanner.
Where is the BMW parking brake unit located?
In the trunk. Lift the carpet in the trunk. The parking module is towards the front, behind the rear seat. It is located under the trunk, next to the rear differential in some models.
Does the BMW parking module need to be programmed?
No. But fault codes will need to be cleared with a BMW scanner to reset the yellow brake light on the BMW dashboard.
Why am I getting a BMW parking brake malfunction after changing the brake pads?
If you replaced the rear brake pads, you might get a parking light warning on the dashboard. Start the car and pump the brake pedal a few times. Next, check the brake fluid level. Once you have completed these two tasks, operate the parking brakes a few times. That would normally rest your BMW parking brakes. If not, check the sensor at the rear wheels and the cable for the parking brakes.
We hope you find the BMW Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.
Is it common for the emergency brake actuator control unit for a 2018 Bmw X5 xDrive35i to fail and have to have it completely replaced. Why is the dealer charging $2400?
2018 is not that old. Not very common but it does happen. That’s crazy expensive. Replace it yourself with a used unit.
Do you know if the gear repair kit that is linked to above (shows compatibility with 7 series and Rolls Royce) is compatible with E70 X5?
the fuse #10 is located in the cabin under the glove box and the other two fuses(94,129)are located in the rear fuse box.
129)are located in the rear fuse box.
2008 750LI light stays on. AutoP does not work nor will parking brake function. Can hear acuator running sometimes when people brake switch is pushed