BMW Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately Problem
You are driving your BMW and all a sudden get Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately error message on the dashboard. iDrive screen shows one of these messages:
- Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately Maximum Drivetrain Output not available
- Drivetrain Continue the journey at a moderate speed. Full performance not available. Have the problem checked by service.
- Drive Modertaley Maximum drivetrain output not avaliable. Consult servie center.
This message often appears under heavy acceleration or when you are trying to pass a vehicle. It can also come up during cold weather or even under normal conditions.
In most cases, your BMW will lose power, the engine will shake or die and may even go into the limp home mode (transmission no longer changes gears). This is a common BMW problem that affects many models especially 328i, 335i, 535i, X3, X5.
In this guide, we take a look at what this message means. Common causes that trigger BMW Drivetrain Malfunction.
What does drivetrain malfunction mean?
BMW Drivetrain Malfunction error message means that the engine control module (DME) has detected a performance issue with your engine. Maximum torque output is no longer available. This problem can be caused by a number of issues, see common causes section below.🔺
While the symptoms can vary depending on the problem that caused the error, here are what most BMW owners usually notice.
- Drivetrain malfunction error message on the iDrive screen
- Car start to shake
- Check engine light comes on
- Vehicle cuts off / dies when idling or placed in gear (D)
- Smoke out of the exhaust
- Vehicle idles rough
- Transmission stuck in gear
- Drivetrain malfunction while trying to pass on highway
- Drivetrain malfunction and the car won't start
What should I do?
Find a safe place to park your BMW. Turn off the ignition and remove the key. Wait for at least a 5 minutes then restart the car. In many cases, this will temporarily reset BMW drivetrain malfunction and allow you to continue your journey.
- Check the engine oil level.
- Monitor engine temperature.
- Don't allow the engine to overheat. If it does, stop and turn off the engine.
At your earliest convenience read the fault codes. Codes stored in the DME will tell you why the Drivetrain Malfunction error was triggered. For this step, you will need a BMW Specific Diagnostic Scanner. Generic OBD2 scanners won't be much help, as they can't read manufacturer fault codes.
Follow this guide to learn how to read BMW fault codes yourself.
Do not ignore BMW drivetrain malfunction warning. Get the BMW serviced as soon as possible. Even if the drivetrain error disappears, you should have your BMW diagnosed as there is a very good chance the problem will return.
Common Causes of BMW Drivetrain Malfunction
BMW drivetrain malfunction is often caused by an engine misfire. Most likely your issue will be due to one of the issues below. We strongly recommend getting your BMW diagnosed by a mechanic or at a minimum read the fault codes yourself before you start replacing any parts.
Worn spark plugs are often the cause of drivetrain malfunction on bmw vehicles. When you change the spark plugs, replace all of them at the same time.
A failed ignition coil can casue engine missifre and bmw error message drivetrain malfunction on iDrive.
If you are getting a cylinder misfire for one particular cylinder, there is a chance that the ignition coil to that cylinder is defective. Let's say you get cylinder 1 misfire. Swap the ignition coils for cylinder 1 and cylinder 2. Clean the codes with an OBD-II scanner. Run the car until the check engine light comes back on. If the code is posting to cylinder 2 misfire (P0302), it indicates you have a bad ignition coil.
High-Pressure Fuel Pump
BMW drivetrain malfunction can be caused by a fuel pump that is not generating the required fuel pressure. Especially if the error message is coming up when you are accelerating. The fuel pump may fail to create enough pressure especially when there is a high demand from the engine.
BMW drivetrain malfunction error message can also be caused by a clogged catalytic converter. This is more likely to happen in high mileage vehicle where the catalytic converter starts to clog and restricts the exhaust gases.
This problem can be caused if you recently filled up the car with low octane gasoline. Make sure to use premium gas on your BMW, 93 or higher octane. If you accidentally used low octane, consider adding Octane Booster to the fuel tank to bring up the octane level of the gasoline that is in the tank.
One or more damaged fuel injectors can cause BMW drive moderately reduced power. If your mechanic determines that the fuel injectors are the problem, it is recommended (but not required) to replace all of them at the same time.
Other possible causes of BMW drivetrain malfunction include blown head gasket, mass air flow sensor, turbo issue, fuel injectors. While it is impossible to know what caused BMW drivetrain malfunction on your car without reading the codes, in most cases, this error is due to an engine misfire.🔺
Drivetrain malfunction when cold weather
If you are getting drivetrain malfunction when you first start your BMW in the morning, there is a good chance that you:
- Have a battery that is old
- Have spark plugs that weren't changed at the recommended interval
- Have too many electronics plugged into the auxiliary outlet
Drivetrain malfunction when accelerating
If you are trying to pass another car in the highway and while you are accelerating get Drivetrain Malfunction message, chances are that you:
- Have a bad high-pressure fuel pump
- Clogged fuel filter
- Damaged or dirty fuel injector.
Drivetrain malfunction after an oil change
If you get BMW drivetrain malfunction after you change the engine oil, there is a very good chance that:
- A sensor got unplugged by accident
- You spilled engine oil on the engine
BMW Drivetrain Malfunction Error Messages
This is a list of possible error messages that you may get. The exact wording of the message can vary between models.
- Drivetrain Malfunction...drive slowly
- Drivetrain malfunction maximum output not available
- Drive modertaly. Maximum drivetrain output not avaliable. Consult service center.
- Drivetrain malfunction drive moderately
- Full performance not available - Have the problem checked by service - Error message
Updated 2 weeks 4 days ago